In the North Irrigation Block, Mississippian strata rest conformably on the Big Valley Formation and can be grouped into five formations that are, in ascending order; Exshaw, Banff, Pekisko, Shunda and Turner Valley. The formations are comprised of alternatimg regressive shaly basin-fill and transgressive carbonate-dominated depositional sequences. Mississippian strata dip gently to the west and are progressively truncated to the east by the pre-Cretaceous unconformity.
This study provides an understanding of the Mississippian stratigraphy and sedimentology in the area. Detailed mapping of the Mississippian unconformity surface and each of the prospective subcrop trends (Pekisko, Shunda & Elkton subcrops) is included. Additionally, the prospective Banff siltstone unit producing at Cessford is mapped in detail.
The study encompasses an area from Township 21 to 28, between Ranges 13W4 and 29W4 (116 townships and over 10,300 square kilometres). At the time of the study 2598 wells penetrated the Mississippian in the study area, all of which are designated as study wells, and 122 wells with cored intervals were logged at the AEUB Core Research Centre.
Product -Five Volume Report
- fully illustrated text (79 pages, 56 colour and B&W figures) documenting stratigraphy, depositional facies, geologic evolution, play types, exploration potential, core descriptions, and database;
- 10 stratigraphic cross sections (7 dip, 3 strike);
- 8 maps including isopach and structure at 1:100,000 and 1:150,000 scales;
- stratigraphic picks and isopach values from Base Cretaceous to Top Wabamun Grp., including Turner Valley Fm. (Upper, Middle & Elkton Mbrs.), Shunda Fm. (S3, S2 & S1 Units), Pekisko Fm., Banff Fm. (B, Siltstone & A Units), Exshaw Fm. and the Wabamun Grp.;
- 2,598 well database available in digital and hardcopy formats
- 139 cored well descriptions (2,250 metres) with internally consistent correlations
For more information or to arrange a technical presentation, call (403) 262-6003, fax (403) 265-4662 or email: email@example.com